Monday, April 2, 2012

Off-Roading: The First Two Days

Saturday was my first "day off". What's a girl to do when she promised her husband she'd wait to reintroduce foods when he's finished, but she has a girls' night out at a fun restaurant? All she can do is try her best!

I ordered a gluten-free burger, hold the bun. There were three topping combinations to choose from, and two of them were cheese-laden. The third option was tomato, avocado salsa and bacon. Yes, I ate the bacon. Sue me. It was good. The whole burger was delicious, and eating it with a knife and fork slowed me down, and made it feel more like a restaurant and less like a fast-food joint. I skipped the fries (as I suspected they were wheat-coated, since they were nowhere to be found on the gluten-free menu), and had a salad with a lemon Chardonnay dressing. It probably had sugar in it. *shrugs*

Okay, big confession - I had a glass of wine. 6oz of a zinfandel, and it was delightful. Since my husband couldn't care less about alcohol I didn't really feel guilty about having that without him. And, to be totally honest, I didn't really feel guilty about the bacon either. He has been eating prosciutto several mornings a week, so the bacon hole has been filled for him.

Sunday meant staring temptation right in the eye. A family lunch at my in-laws' house included noodles with pork and vegetables, dumplings and spring rolls. (I even watched my sister-in-law drink a can of cranberry ginger-ale.) I knew I'd need to bring something extra yummy to stave off the temptation. I whipped up a double batch of our new favourite taco chicken [drumsticks] with guacamole dip. Everybody loved them, and my father-in-law even requested I pass along the recipe to his wife. :)

Sunday night wasn't so hard. We went to a birthday party for a dear friend (with about 70 of his closest friends and family!), and there was plenty to eat without fear. Burgers with no buns, we brought our own homemade ketchup and BBQ sauce, salads, veggies (minus the dip), and I brought two kinds of muffins made with Whole30-approved ingredients for dessert - coconut banana muffins (minus the honey) and banana cinnamon bun muffins (minus the maple syrup).

Today, I'm right back on track with 100% Whole30 eating. The only thing that looks different now than the way I was eating a week ago is that I've added eggs back in. First, it was too hard. It was making me miserable. I've grown so fond of my egg and kale scramble at breakfast! Secondly, what I have is an autoimmune condition, not an autoimmune disease. It doesn't affect my over-all health, just my scalp and my vanity. I *know* that nuts are inflammatory for me if I eat them in large quantities, so I'll continue to save them for special occasions (like a Coconut Cream Larabar!), but I don't notice a difference in my inflammation levels (pain, nasal passages, etc) after eating eggs so they're back in.

4 comments:

  1. How did you cook the drumsticks? Also broiler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaclyn, Have you ever heard of soaking nuts so that they sprout and thus neutralise the acid that causes the inflammation? You really should get yourself a copy of Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions and read it cover to cover. It is not a fad - it is a extensively researched cooking book about why our ancestors ate the way they did and why it worked. I swear by it as much as I can. Or go to the WAPF website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll look into the soaking, thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure Jenna has NT - I'll see if I can borrow it. (Not sure if your comment about the fad is because you're simply defending the WAPF, or if you think the primal/paleo diet is a fad. I can assure you it's not! This has been around for decades, is highly-researched and supported, but it's just now hitting the mainstream awareness.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, haven't been on here for a while so I only just read the comment. No, I wasn't referring to the diet as a fad. Much of the paleo diet is derived from WAPF stuff.

    ReplyDelete

What's on YOUR mind?