Friday, April 12, 2013

Chugging Along - a Random Post

Not much to report. Day 12 of Whole30. It's going really well. Old pants are fitting better again. Frustrated by size differences from store to store. (Size 4 from one store barely do up, size 2 from another store are definitely wearable.) Learning to really enjoy eating meat for breakfast instead of eggs. I do miss those eggs, though. Really hoping this healing protocol helps me recover enough that I can go back to eating them without pain!

Doing a "yoga" workout a couple of times a week. I hesitate to call it yoga, since the trainer mostly just uses yoga postures as inspiration for her own workout. She even says, "Who's your daddy?!" at one point. Not very yoga-ish, but suits me better! I'm not much into the zen bit... I've also added in a strength-training workout a couple times a week. I've been using this one for a while, and I just change the cardio intervals to something that won't drive my heart rate up too high. Doctor's orders.

I was chatting with a friend the other day about my prowess when it comes to thrift store shopping. Behold:
These are just the shoes that I have acquired second-hand, mostly thrifted but a couple of hand-me-downs. The most expensive pair were the purple pumps, and they were $14.99. The red ones are from Naturalizer (if that means anything to you) and are extraordinarily comfortable for heels. They were $5. The light brown boots are vintage Fryes.

Tonight was scheduled to be our date night, but with this crazy freezing rain/ice pellets/snowy weather we're having right now, we're not sure our sitters (my in-laws) will be able to make the 30 minute drive to our house. Rain date (snow date?) is tomorrow though. Whenever it happens, we're heading out for burgers.

Have I told you lately how much I adore my children?

Racing in the driveway - the best way to spend that last crazy hour until supper is ready. Have I also told you lately how much I love that my husband is home before 4:30 every day? Mama gets to cook in peace, which is especially important on those days when I'm cooking two suppers.*

Went to a meeting last night for a committee I'm part of which oversees the budding youth ministry at our church. Having been a youth minister (many, many) years ago, so much of what we talked about just made me itchy to get back to doing some kind of ministry. I'm thinking of starting a Theology of the Body ministry at our parish in the fall. Likely one specifically for teens (since our youth minister is working with a younger age group right now and there isn't anything for the older teens), but perhaps one for the whole parish. We'll see where God leads me on this one.

Finally, a totally random question - for those of you who are stay-at-home-moms, how do you answer that small talk classic, "So what do you do?" I got asked that the other day for the first time in a couple of years, and I think my jaw just went slack for a minute before I was able to express that I stay at home to raise my kids full-time. The poor young man (seminarian) was baffled. It was awkward.

*No, I don't make separate meals for picky kids. But I do make things for Francis and the kids that I can't eat, like gluten-free pizza or frittatas. So on those days I make something quick and simple for myself.

5 comments:

  1. That is an impressive collection of thrifted shows! wowzers :)

    I'm surprised to hear that a seminarian would be baffled by a woman who stays home to raise her children. When people ask me that question I usually just tell them that I am a full time stay at home mom...but if was feeling snarky I could say taxi, chef, nurse, teacher, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one asks me that question. I think that they fear the answer. However, if asked, I wouldn't hesitate, "laundry." P.s. size 9, brown boots, find... Wait, better answer: feed the hungry, comfort the sick, clothe the naked ... Or just reference the appropriate scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing thrifted shoes! I think I've only thrifted 3 pairs in my life- I have SUCH massive feet, I never find things I like! Your kids look really cute Jac!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post ^^

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

What's on YOUR mind?