Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 9 of 40 - Oops. SWYPOed!

So I made muffins last night for the kids, knowing that we were heading out for a playdate today. I wanted there to be at least one thing Baby Belle could eat, plus I prefer the older kids to not eat gluten either. Last night was an insanely bad night. (I dozed from 11 until 1, then slept from 4 until almost 7.) When we got up, we were already way behind schedule to get out the door, so instead of making breakfast, I grabbed two of the muffins. Now they are made of 100% Whole30-approved ingredients (I never add the honey that the recipe calls for), and this is a recipe I make frequently when I'm not  doing a Whole30, so it's not like they make me crave "bad" muffins. They are just not an ideal food source for a meal. I don't feel too guilty about that one.

But that was not my only SWYPO today.

My sister-in-law was doing some baking for an upcoming trip when we arrived for our playdate. We got chatting, and I mentioned I'd never baked with zucchini before. She decided it was the perfect time for me to try, since she had some zucchini already grated in the fridge. Before I knew it, we were making zucchini bread with coconut flour. But here's the thing: even though we subbed olive oil for the butter, I forgot to mention that we'd need to leave out the honey. *sigh* I didn't want to be rude or ungrateful, so of course I had some. I feel a little bad about that, but considering it was only 1 tablespoon of honey in the whole recipe, I only feel bad on a technicality - I don't feel like I actually consumed enough honey to screw anything up.

A note about the zucchini bread: I liked it. I didn't love it, but I think with a couple of tweaks it would be fantastic. It called for pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon - I just don't think it had enough of either. And it could use to be a tad sweeter. I think I'll try making it again but adding an over-ripe, mashed banana to the mix and see if it helps.

And that is the end of my SWYPO day.

Breakfast: Two coconut banana muffins, two cups of half-decaf with coconut milk.
Lunch: More tuna mixed with avocado and homemade mayo (probably half a can worth?), some sliced cucumber, grape tomatoes and cantaloupe.
Supper: (We ate after the kids went to bed. Love that!) Hamburger patty with coconut curry cabbage and a sweet potato hash. YUM!
Snacks: A medjool date pitted then sprinkled with cinnamon and stuffed with unsweetened coconut and a couple of macadamia nuts. About 10 cherries, and of course the zucchini bread.

1 comment:

  1. when you perfect it, you should post a recipe for that bread! and you shouldn't beat yourself up about a portion of a teaspoon of honey!! you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete

What's on YOUR mind?